Young Optimist of the Month for October 2021
October 27 — GREENSBURG – The Young Optimist of the Month for October is Emily Mangels.
Senior: Emily Mangels, Greensburg High School
Parents: Mr. Scott Mangels and Ms. Janice Mangels
Class rank 1/180; SAT score: 1,300
* Junior Optimist Club: 4 years old
* National Honor Society: 2 years, Secretary 1 year
* Class president 2 years
* Student Council / Spirit crew: 4 years, Treasurer 2 years
* Directory staff: 2 years
* St. Mary’s Youth Choir / Cantor: 4 years
* Member of the board of directors of Kids Closet: 2 years
* Mayor’s Youth Council: 2 years
* Female representative of the Greensburg prevention group “Be the Wall”
* Pirate Dance Team: 4 years
* Semi-state qualification (4 years),
* All-conference (3 years),
* Mental Attitude Prize (1 year),
* Academic All State First Team (1 year),
* County champion (1 year)
* Regional Qualifier (2 years),
* Outstanding first year award,
* 4×800 relay team school record holder,
* Academic Any State (1 year)
Decatur County Youth Running Clinic Volunteer – 3 years
Recognized as a “Rising Star of Indiana” by the IN Association of Principals
* United Methodist Church Nursery Employee: Nov 2018-Mar 2020
* Associated with the YMCA reception (Summer 2021)
* Denim & Honey Boutique Sales Associate: June 2021 – present
Emily represents GCHS at the highest level of what we look for in exceptional young people. She works diligently on all aspects of her life bringing true balance. She is involved and accomplished in what she does. She generously gives to organizations with her free time and always manages to have a GPA 4.0. Emily is an exceptional citizen, a woman with high ideals and great character, and she is loyal to her community, to her school and to the people she represents every day. We are proud that Emily will be out in October 2021, Young Optimist of the Month.
* Academic choice: Undecided, but considered at Depauw University, Purdue University and University of Indianapolis.
* Major: Kinesiology to pursue a doctorate in physiotherapy.
$ 50 will be donated by the Greensburg Optimist Club to: Kids Closet of Decatur County.
Contact Aaron Kirchoff at [email protected]