November 27, 2021
  • November 27, 2021
  • Home
  • Marketing expert
  • Astroworld Festival: At least 8 dead, several others injured during concert in Texas

Astroworld Festival: At least 8 dead, several others injured during concert in Texas

By on November 7, 2021 0

Astroworld Festival: At least 8 dead, several others injured during concert in Texas

At least eight people were killed and many more were injured in a crowd surge at the Astroworld music festival in Houston as rapper Travis Scott performed, officials said.

Authorities declared an “incident with mass casualties” shortly after 9 p.m. Friday during the festival, which was attended by about 50,000 people, according to Houston Fire Chief Samuel Pea.

“The crowd started to compress towards the front of the stage, causing some panic and injuries,” said the fire chief. “People started to fall, pass out, and it created further panic.”

Shortly after, the show was canceled. “Dozens of people” were injured, according to the fire chief.

According to Pea, 17 people were taken to hospitals, 11 of them with cardiac arrest. A field hospital had been set up in NRG Park and many people were being treated there. Throughout the day, around 300 people were examined at this location, he said.

Astroworld is a two-day music festival in Houston that was scheduled to take place on Friday and Saturday. According to the Astroworld website, the event was sold out. The performances scheduled for Saturday have been canceled.

Drake joined Travis Scott on stage at the concert, which was broadcast live by Apple Music, and shared photos from the performance on Instagram.

Medical units had been stationed at the festival by event organizers, but once the crowds arrived, these units were “quickly overwhelmed”, according to Pea.

Near the front of the crowd, Houston Deputy Police Chief Larry Satterwhite said the flare “came all of a sudden.”

“Suddenly we had several people on the ground going through some type of cardiac arrest or some type of medical episode,” Satterwhite said. “And so we immediately started doing CPR and moving people around at that point, and that’s when I went to meet the promoters and Live Nation, and they agreed to end. early in the interest of public safety. “

Authorities did not know the causes of death of the eight people who died, according to Pea. A medical examiner would look into the matter. It was not clear whether the eight people who died were among the 17 people taken to hospital. Saturday morning, the deceased had not been identified.

Authorities set up a reunification center in a hotel for family members who were unable to contact relatives who attended the event. According to Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo, authorities were trying to connect families with festival-goers who were taken to hospital, “some as young as 10 years old.”

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner urged people to stay calm and avoid drawing hasty conclusions about the causes of the outbreak.

“I think it’s very important that neither of us speculate. Nobody has all the answers tonight, ”Finner said. He added that there had been several rumors surrounding the event that authorities would look into.

“We’re going to investigate and find out because it’s not fair to the producers, to anyone else involved, until we figure out what happened, what caused the surge,” a- he declared. “We don’t know, but we’ll find out.”

The Associated Press attempted to contact Scott’s representative but did not receive a response.

Scott and the promoters of the event, according to Finner, cooperated with the police.

The death toll was the highest at a U.S. concert since the 2003 Station nightclub fire in Rhode Island, which killed 100 people.

Thousands of fans attempted to enter the Cincinnati Riverside Coliseum in 1979, and eleven people died and about two dozen were injured.


Source link

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *